NBC KARE 11 Segment – Boot Camp Circuit WorkoutJul 06, 2012
Today's segment is a simple boot camp circuit workout you can do at home with just a few pieces of equipment. For many parents summertime means a new and different schedule getting kids to various camps or having them around the house, which may disrupt the usual exercise routine. This workout is simple and easy, and the kids can even participate. Make it a fun game by seeing who can do the most or who can come up with the most creative exercises.
Equipment needed: step, exercise ball, dumbbells, jumprope and exercise band.
Set 30-60 seconds on a timer and see how many repetitions of each exercise you can do with good form. When the timer beeps, move on to the next exercise as quickly as you possibly can. For a longer workout put more time on the timer or repeat the series of 10 exercises.
- FORWARD STEP UPS: Facing the step, step up with one foot, then the other, then step down with one foot, then the other. Go as fast as you can.
- CRUNCHES ON THE BALL: Begin seated on the ball and walk your feet out until the ball is centered between the hips and the shoulder blades. Spine should be in a straight position. Lift your chest and shoulders 3/4 of the way up, lower yourself back down to a straight spine, and crunch up again.
- TRICEP DIPS: Sit on the edge of the step and place the palms of both hands on the step right next to your hips (fingers should be pointing forward). Put your weight into your hands and lift your hips up off the step. Bend your elbows and lower your body down several inches in front of the step, then straighten your elbows and push yourself up.
- JUMP ROPE: If you don’t have a jump rope, no worries. Pantomime the movement without the rope – you’ll still get your heart rate up!
- SEATED ROW WITH RESISTANCE BAND: Sit on the floor with legs straight out in front of you. Lay the band across your shins, wrap each end outside around your feet and pull through the center of your feet. Sit up tall and keeping your elbows close to your sides, pull the band back and squeeze your shoulder blades together. For increased resistance, move your hands down the band closer to your feet.
- BICEP CURLS: Holding a dumbbell in each hand and palms facing forward, curl hands up toward the shoulders and then lower back down again.
- STRADDLE STEP UPS: Straddling the step, step up with one foot, then the other, then step down with one foot, then the other. Go as fast as you can.
- DUMBBELL OVERHEAD PRESS: Begin with your hands at shoulder height, palms facing forward. Press up over the head fully extending the arms.
- BALL PUSH UPS: Start with your belly on the ball and walk yourself forward on your hands. Keep the core engaged so the spine stays in a neutral position and perform as many push-ups as you can. Positioning the ball closer to your hips makes the exercise easier while placing the ball nearer your feet increases the difficulty. Choose a body position that makes the last few repetitions extremely challenging.
- JUMP SQUATS: Begin with feet hip width apart and lower down into a squat position. Knees should be over the ankles and behind the toes and your hips should be pushed back. Jump up as high as you can while reaching up over head. As you land, bend the knees and return to your squat position, then jump again. And again. And again!
FOR A SAFE AND EFFECTIVE WORKOUT:
- Always check with your physician before beginning any exercise program.
- Conduct a warm-up of light cardiovascular activity before beginning the circuit workout.
- Stretch at the end of every workout.
- Drink water before, during and after each workout.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.